buying secondhand lenses from ebay?

Started Feb 25, 2010 | Discussions thread
finlemad
Forum MemberPosts: 82Gear list
Like?
bid, buy, enjoy
In reply to DocendoDiscimus, Feb 26, 2010

Over the last year I have bought four Canon cameras and six lenses on E-bay, all film, all but one FD, all at a bargain, all in very good condition and have had a ball doing it. Also bought a lens that just flat wouldn't work (the shutter would hang open until you removed the lens from the camera), and when I couldn't contact the seller either by phone or e-mail, E-bay got up with him and I got my money back, except for the freight.

I also bought two IS lenses for my XTI on E-Bay, one new, one like new, and both at a bargain. Both are perfect.

There are usually so many listed at one time that it is hard to believe there is a home for every one of them.

My suggestions;

Once you know the lens you want, find out what you can buy it for at "retail", and at "buy it now " on E-bay. Then decide what you'll pay and bid that amount riight off the bat, and don't raise it. Read "between the lines" in the description, and follow your gut instinct whether to bid or to leave it alone. You probably won't get the first item you bid on, but don't get frustrated, and don't get in a hurry. When the Canon AE1P came out, I lusted after it, but couldn't afford one. I probably bid on a dozen before I got one recently. Two, actually, i got a little frustrated and was bidding on three or four at a time. I shot several rolls of film as soon as I got each one, before giving feedbeck.
Above all, have fun!
Finn

finlemad's gear list:finlemad's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow