pierre_x
Regular MemberPosts: 252
Like?
Avoid circular B+W made in germany filters
Feb 25, 2010

Hi,

A couple of years ago I bought on internet a circular graduated ND filter:
B+W 72E FARBVERLAUF GRAU 25%

This filter drove me nuts for a couple of years. I don't use it anymore, in place I use a Sunpak made in Japan and I am happy with it.

What happened was the following:

Personally, with a graduated ND, when looking through the viewfinder, I have a hard time telling where is the dark area of the filter and as a consequence I don't know if it is placed on top where is the sun.

To solve that, after buying a filter I put a mark on the filter ring on top of the darker area of the filter. And before taking a pic I look at the filter screwed on the lens and turn it to place the mark on the side getting the more light.

I was not happy at all with the pics taken with this filter. I was still overexposing the bright area of the landscape and underexposing the somber one.

I was thinking that the filter is not strong enough in absorbing light.

Then I noticed that I didn't placed the mark on the filter at the right place, it seems it wasn't on the darker part of the filter.

So I did a second mark, then another and another and I was thinking there is something with your eyes man, each time you look at the filter you don't see the dark part at the same position.

I am not proud it took me so long to realize that the problem was due to the filter glass turning inside its mount (don't laugh). So each time I was using the filter the dark area had moved away from the mark and as a result I was not positioning the dark area at the right place.

You cannot fix it. On this filter, there is no way to tighten the mount on the filter.

Regards,

Pierre

ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow