ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,328Gear list
Like?
so, why does Oly need a "pro" body?
Feb 24, 2010

several recent threads and the posts in them have gotten me thinking about this one. one series of posts in particular: an exchange in which one poster noted that fewer pros were using Oly, and diminishing all the time, and part of my response that i didn't personally know a single pro using Oly gear (although not because they thought it stank...).

So, what hope does Oly really have in bringing out a new body that would suddenly convince thousands of pros to dump their Canon or Nikon gear and suddenly jump over to Oly? unless it's some robo-cam that shoots jobs for you while you relax on the beach, i don't see that happening no matter how good or innovative or fast or better high iso or bombproof or fill in the blank here the camera is. i don't think they're coming for a host of reasons that have nothing to do with the worth of that body. just not going to happen. and just how many pros did Oly have in its ranks in film days? so, why should Oly pursue that goal? just what is that goal, anyway? would it be impossible for Oly to be a successful maker w/o a large corps of pros?

what is a "pro" camera and who is it for? based on all the different gear i've seen pros use over the years and all the different sorts of pros even i know, i just know that's a big pool of gear and uses. i know my local pro shop (and yes, it is a pro shop...) is selling most of their "pro" gear to wealthy amateurs who want to have "pro" gear. the actual pros seem to bump along with stuff that works for them in whatever case---and they don't seem to be frequent upgraders just because there's a new model out, partly because once they're used to a body they don't want to have to learn another until they feel they absolutely have to or the one they've got bites the dust. when i ask many of them if they've got such and such body, i get a lot of snorts and answers like, " yeah, just as soon as i cash in this lottery ticket i've got here in my pocket...". it's not like the best available stats show pros making a boatload of money. are pros actually the lion's share of the DSLR market? i rather doubt that.

so, just what is it we want out of Oly? what do you call a "pro" body no pros will ever really use? i think that's better called and thought about as a flagship model. maybe we should adjust our thinking a little by thinking about a flagship model as opposed to the "pro" model no pros will ever use. don't just dismiss this as a rhetorical point: rhetoric is important because it affects how you think about things, even if only in subtle ways.

so, the discussion i hope to engender here is about how we feel about a flagship Oly model and what should be its general characteristics strictly in terms of the Oly line and what makes sense in that line, not how many defections from the big two such a body would engender, or the reciprocal, a halt to defections from Oly. i think Oly has actually been thinking about this one. (and this is not intended to be a thread about the gear not making any difference to capital P photography---that's a separate issue entirely).

do we really know what we (collectively) want from Oly? i wonder....

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Rokinon T-S 24mm 1:3.5 ED AS UMC +15 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
IMHONew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow