Dull / Cool Colour rendition on new 70-200 VRII ?

Started Feb 23, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bearsdenoboe
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Dull / Cool Colour rendition on new 70-200 VRII ?
Feb 23, 2010

Has anyone any advice or experience please? (I am awaiting an answer too from Nikon UK).

I had every expectation that the new VRII 70-200 would surpass the latest ED Nikons in colour rendition and 'sparkle'. I am occasionally thrilled by the joyful quality that leaps out from my 17-35 mm (from f5.6 anyway) and the 70-300 (D700), where the VR too has allowed me to hand-hold head shots in the dullest rehearsal lighting at 300mm - 1/8th second. (Common sense dictated I should be using the right lens though @ f2.8).

Initial tests upon receiving my VRII looked surprisingly dull and cool, however fantastically sharp the optics. Now some quick comparison shots definitely seem to show that this particular lens is between 1/2 and 2/3 stop darker (I often need to set the other two at -1/3 or less with Auto-D lighting, to hold cloud highlights).

I could cope with that (- reverse the exposure setting), but without doubt this particular lens is significantly Cooler too: everything seems to lose its 'glow' and suffer from Prussian blues.

Is It Possible that any one example of anything this good could differ so widely from what is expected? What is going on? If I return it, will the next lens be different? Help please.

I attach 3 smallish jpgs (sharpened at only +2 – so please Ignore sharpness questions): 70-200 VR2; 70-300 VR; 85 mm f1.8: all at f7.1, 1600 ISO, dull, rainy dusk lighting; 5260K. But please look at the colour and the white wall.

BTW: a warning. I ordered this lens at the lowest price I could find, from 'Simply Electronics' UK. They promise a 3-5 day delivery. After this time I had a strange email asking me to fax a copy of my credit card (partial number of course), AND a utility bill. "Credit card security"! Unheard of! A week and 5 calls later (I was twice cut off from their phone queue) it was still under discussion, and only after 4 forceful emails too was the lens delivered – 13 days AFTER they had taken credit card payment.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow