Started Feb 23, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tompabes2
Regular MemberPosts: 373Gear list
Like?
Pentax, do an APS-C compact!
Feb 23, 2010

I think Pentax sholud make an APS-C compact with interchangeable lenses as soon as possible. In a few months, Pentax will be the only camera maker without one.

The situation is the following.

Makers that already have a compact camera with large sensor and interchangeable lenses:

• Olympus

• Panasonic

• Samsung

• Ricoh

• Leica

Makers that have announced one:

• Sony

• Sigma

Makers that are (apparently) doing nothing:

• Canon

• Nikon

• Pentax

• Fuji

• Casio

• Kodak

Now, Fuji, Casio and Kodak do not make DSLRs, so they can just go on with compact and bridge cameras, since this is their kind of market.

Canon and Nikon are the 2 top makers, so they can arrive on the market late and sell anyway. Their customers will wait, and they will have no problem in acquiring new customers if they see that this kind of camera sells well and decide to enter the APS-C compact arena. And I bet they're already working on it and will release quiclky when they are forced by the market.

But Pentax is the only top brand/DSLR maker that has not even announced this kind of product. Instead, they made the mistake of concentrating on products like the Optio I-10 that is neither a compact nor a large sensor compact.
What do you think? I think that they are losing a train!

tompabes2's gear list:tompabes2's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow