Canvas Print Disappointment. Am I being unreasonable?

Started Feb 23, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Craig Jewell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,182Gear list
Like?
Canvas Print Disappointment. Am I being unreasonable?
Feb 23, 2010

Hi

I don't know if this is the right forum to air this, but I consider this as my "home" on dpreview, so here goes.

A while back I won a photography competition at a local photography club in Sydney. The prize was a 20x30 inch streched canvas print of an image of my choice from Pixles canvas prints, a small company that works out of Wollongong, NSW. I was ecstatic at the prospect, as I have never printed on of my images on canvas, and especially not at that size. As a result I thought long and hard when choosing an image to print.

I finally decided to print my favourite image of my daughter (whom unfortunately I only get to see for about a week a month because we live in different cities, a story which I won't bore you with). If you are interested, the image is shown below.

I have to admit that the canvas came out great! However there was one problem (IMHO). Pixles chose to print their rainbow logo on the front top left hand corner of their canvas where it is highly visible on the almost sepia line tones of the image.

Now, I agree that Pixles would have every right to print their logo on a canvas if it was one of the sample canvasas they do for professionals to display in their studios etc. , but this was not a sample or giveaway, it was a prize that I won and it will have very little advertising value on the wall above my bed. Oh if only for a real-life clone tool.

I understand that companies sponsor prizes to get exposure. Bear in mind though that the owner of Pixles had the floor for about 45 minutes on the night of the competition to explain to the entire photography club about their products and services. Isn't that enough exposure.

I did actually send an email to the owner of the company a few weeks ago, to voice my disappointment, and I receieved absolutely no reponse or even acknowledement (which was just as disappointing). am I being totally unreasonable. If I am being unreasonable, tell me and I will shut up

Anyway, that's my rant and I feel better now

Here is an image of the final product (which does look great except for the logo). If you want to see the actual image, it is in my DPR gallery.

Cheers
Craig

Craig Jewell's gear list:Craig Jewell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Pentax K10D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS M +24 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow