Started Sep 27, 2002 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Peter Sills
Senior MemberPosts: 2,194Gear list
Like?
WARNING - Epson 2200 Users
Sep 27, 2002

I have just finished setting up the third HP Computer for a friend. It had been exchanged three times due to "mysterious" locking, crashing, rebooting problems. This was running all sorts of OSes, from Windows 2000, Windows XP Home, XP Pro and all with and without the updated Service Packs. Each was a totally clean install from a newly formatted drive (reformatted each time).

After spending the last two days with the problem and Epson's "overseas" technical support (which was worthless) I finally got through to Epson's Second-Level techs who informed me as follows:

1. You can not have the Epson 2200 and Epson 1280 installed on the same computer, they will conflict and cause the system to behave erratically.

2. You can not install the Epson Monitor program (shows ink levels) under Win2K or WinXP as it is "flakey" and will not work properly.

3. You are best letting Windows install the print drivers and not using the Epson installer, it has been known to cause problems.

The reason I am posting this here is to see if anyone has had any similar problems and how people are checking ink levels under Win2K and XP if this is indeed true. I am assuming that someone here is running these two printers just fine and that someone here is checking their ink levels under these OSes.

Oh, based on this we now have the computer installed (and stable) with just the 2200 installed after letting Windows install the driver itself. This has been a long (two month) constant battle, and I for one am glad it is over.

However, I would love any feedback from other 2200 and 1280 users.

Thanks

Peter

-- hide signature --

Peter Sills
Digital Focus
http://www.digitalfocus.net

Peter Sills's gear list:Peter Sills's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9-P Fujifilm X-E1 Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow