ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rocdoc
Regular MemberPosts: 285
Like?
D90 dies, then comes back to life - help needed
Feb 21, 2010

Hi everyone,
I need your opinion on something. I had the strangest problem occur with my D90.

I have a Zeikos battery grip on it, which worked just wonderful. Yesterday, out of the blue, the camera appeared dead, while having two batteries (EL3e) in the grip. Last used 24hrs prior, when one of the batteries showed about 35% left, the other 90% left. Sitting on my desk since. I pick it up, flick the switch to on, and nothing, not a flicker of light, nada, dead as a rock. I removed the grip and put a battery in the usual way, still nothing. I called Nikon, the guy in tech support seemed totally incompetent, but said he never heard of such a thing, send it in (it's in warranty). While packing it to send in, I get the idea of putting one of the batteries in the charger. A few minutes later I put it in the camera, and everything is back on. It's been working more or less normally since.

Any idea what could have happened? What I am thinking now is that the grip may have shorted somehow and discharged both batteries fully and abruptly. I have not mounted the grip back since this, I'd be worried about it.

If anyone has any idea, or any similar experience, please let me know. I know I did not do a controlled experiment here, but I am particularly concerned about the grip having done this, so any grip owners please chime in as well. Can dirt get in the grip contacts and short them? Anything else that comes to mind??
Thank you very much.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow