Started Feb 21, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
28to70
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,040
Like?
Portrait session deposits? You bet!
Feb 21, 2010

I've been a photographer long enough to have learned my lessons about people not showing up for their appointments. It took me awhile to sink in, specially years ago when I was eager to take anybody. But enough times waiting and waiting with the make up artist, and the client not showing up will set you straight : No deposit, no appointment!

For those of you that don't take deposits up front, portrait deposits that is, let me tell you about Molly. Molly called me a few days ago about photographing her daughter who is graduating from college. To make it short, she saw my website and liked my prices and called today to schedule an appointment for next Saturday. When it came time to take the deposit online, she said "You mean I have to pay the $100.00 deposit now"? Yes, I said. That will reserve you daughter's appointment. "Well, I don't work like that, I don't pay ahead of time" she said. Well, I understand your concern Molly, but this is my studio policy, and no reflection on you, but I have had to many people not show up when they don't have a deposit. Furthermore, I'm a professional with a studio, so I'm not going to just skip town, and I will give you a 100% guarantee on my work. Well, no dice, and I told her thanks for considering my studio, and to give me a call if she changes her mind. Let me remind you that I always felt like a fool waiting for that client that never showed up! And the make up artist felt the same way!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow