Started Feb 19, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Henrikw
Contributing MemberPosts: 680Gear list
Like?
Entire wedding shot at iso3200 on 5D II
Feb 19, 2010

I shot my first wedding of 2010 last Saturday, and it was also the first proper test of my newly purchased 5d II.

I used a 24-70mm lens and iso3200, f/2.8 on 95% of the pictures. Reason being that apart from the bride's preparation (these are mostly iso1600), there were no windows at the venue, most walls were dark wood, with only a narrow white panel to bounce a bit of flash, and the light very dimmed/yellow. I obviously never use direct flash indoor, so I needed to make the most of what I had.

To sum it up, I was very happy with the amount of detail, low noise (apart from underexposed backgrounds) and accurate focus in bad lighting (yes, really!)

Some shots were not pin sharp due to the 1/100 shutter speed, but not to the point where it was a problem.

Before I used a 10-22 for wide angle shots in my 40D, but 24mm on full frame is enough. The subject isolation is great on this camera, giving the pictures more depth.

I'm starting to think that my 40D was faulty, as focusing at 24mm with a 2.8 aperture was hit and miss.

The only negative point is the banding. I noticed this when bumping up a few underexposed shots. But given they were shot at iso3200, I'm not surprised.

So overall I love the 5D II, and for the first time ever, I love the 24-70mm lens too.

Here are some samples with no or very little processing done:

More in the gallery.

On a side note - I also used the Black Rapid strap for the first time - unlike previous weddings, no back pain after carrying the camera around for 8 hours.

Henrikw's gear list:Henrikw's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow