Current entry/midrange DSLRs and high MP - What about lenses??

Started Feb 19, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tsk1979
Senior MemberPosts: 1,058Gear list
Like?
Current entry/midrange DSLRs and high MP - What about lenses??
Feb 19, 2010

When the 50D came out, dpreview said that to get detail out of the shot you need to have very very good glass.

Now we have a 18MP mid range (900$ kit) DSLR, which comes with 18-55 IS lens, with sweet spot at F8 or so.

While a 5D or 7D owner would likely go for expensive lenses, or atleast one high end lens, the 550 will be for people who go for kit first, and new lenses (L) are much rarer.

Now if the normal kit lens can't do justice to the 18MP, isn't it kind of pointless?

I am not even thinking about high ISO performance yet, but simply about resolution. Does 18MP give any benefit to those not interested in poster prints.

One thing which comes to my mind is cropping, but then if we crop the image, won't it get softer if it was taken at F8-F9 with kit lens?

I am a 350D owner, whose next camera may be 550D or its successor, and the reason for upgrade would be that my cam is almost 5 years old and has gotten a little quirky. the video on the later canons is very attractive too. But I will be worried, if the 18-55 IS lens is not able to give me the benefit of those megapixels.

-- hide signature --
 tsk1979's gear list:tsk1979's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow