EF 14mm 2.8 II or Sigma FE 15mm + Sigma 12-24mm?

Started Feb 19, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
richiedodson
Regular MemberPosts: 287
Like?
EF 14mm 2.8 II or Sigma FE 15mm + Sigma 12-24mm?
Feb 19, 2010

Hi all.

I have a client who has some new concept stores opening up around Australia and they have been sending me to photograph them. The photos go to the parent company in Taiwan and also various offices around the world see them also.

I have been doing them with a 5DII and 17-40mm L and the client has been very happy.

Since I have gradually been building up my lense range I am contemplating buying either an EF 14mm f2.8 II OR possibly a FishEye and a Sigma 12-24 which comes out to around the same price as the 14mm in total - although probably more than what the next job will pay on it's own.

In general I'd rather save up until I can afford 'the best' since I like to get the best image quality that I can and I know I'll never be dissapointed - although also I tend not to have used much super wide angle in the past (although I'm beginning to really be interested in it).

I purchased the 17-40mm because I was hesitant to spend so much on a super wide angle but now I wish I had spent more on the 16-35mm just for the extra mm and f-stop (although I do love my 17-40 also)

I'm not really interested in purchasing a Nikon with an adapter.

My questions are: Is the EF14mmII IQ so excellent that you can't go past it in Canon mount?

Is the Sigma 12-24 anywhere near the IQ of the EF14II assuming I am using F4 or smaller?

Does the Sigma FE beat the Canon FE in IQ across the entire frame?

Is it worth buying 2 Sigmas vs 1 Canon and be much more versatile - or should I go with what I know I will be extremelly happy with and then just save some more for a FE later?

Saving is hard work - but I want to be happy with a purchase rather than wishing I had worked harder.

I am also planning on some HDR shots of interior and extriors of these shops.

Any input is hugely welcome. Cheers!
--
'high IQ'

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow