Started Feb 15, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jayboo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,401Gear list
Like?
Really need some help please BIF + 7D
Feb 15, 2010

I'm afraid I am having a real struggle to get an acceptable bird in flight shot - in fact when I review all shots taken with my 7d over the course of the last couple of months I am wondering where I am going wrong - no - I am not about to suggest the camera is getting it wrong - pretty sure its me. I have set custom functions to suggested setting for bif shots - use centre point expanded af and ai servo - shoot raw - mainly auto iso and auto wb - though shots taken today below I set iso to 640 - just to get shutter speed up to acceptable level while shooting in av mode with lens stopped down to 5.6 and 6.3 - partiial metering - was using 200mm 2.8L + 1.4 ext - from which I have had good results in the past on different body. I put this set up on as a change from my 400mm 5.6 - I've had some reasonable results from that on small garden birds (not in flight). Sure exif will be intact - 2 ducks in flight show focus point mid body on mallard and the first shot is full image just resized to jpeg - 2nd image crop of same and 3rd image crop of single bird - original filled the frame pretty much as 1st shot posted. Am I expecting too much - do I need more of the bird in the frame - pretty sure I am locking focus correctly and I would think shutter speed is high enough. I know light could be better but I think I am missing something here. Shout, scream - tell me I'm an idiot - I can take it - I will get this right eventually but I could do with some pointers please.

-- hide signature --

Jayboo

jayboo's gear list:jayboo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 650D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +6 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow