D3S focus testing

Started Feb 14, 2010 | Discussions thread
Bill Hollinger
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093
Like?
Re: D3S focus testing
In reply to Marcello Geerts, Feb 15, 2010

Is the lever on the side of the camera set on S instead of C? It looks like this is what happened here. I do a lot of dog action photography for magazines, books and web sites, and I switched form Canon to the Nikon D3 because the D3 AF tracking with dogs is so superior to Canon. Even with the D3 and an old screw drive 80-200 f2.8, I would see entire motor drive sequences of fast moving dog images with the eyes in focus in every shot. I can post some here if you like. I notice you have the camera set on 9 points, Try 21 or 51 (I find 51 points is best because as they run, their heads move all over the viewfinder). I also have the D3s and the new 70-200 f2.8VR, and I was surprised to find it is even better than the D3 with the 80-200 f2.8 afs. It holds focus all the way to the closest focusing distance - it is absolutely amazing. Some of these were taken during a storm dumping 2 to 3 inches of snow an hour, with winds gusting to 40mph. I do not know of a more difficult af subject than a fast moving dark dog in these conditions.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow