What's with the VR on a 16-35?

Started Feb 10, 2010 | Discussions thread
Vince Pea
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?
Re: Irony: VR helps with weight and size
In reply to RicAllan, Feb 15, 2010

RicAllen wrote:

I know very well what you're talking about and have made the distinction between the two. What you have made no effort to correlate is the relative impact of each (which is in opposition to the other) and the relative balance between the two. You choose to cite extremes and do not acknowledge that there may be a balance chosen between the two.

Yes, the term inertia is appropriate but it's not just that as inertia relates to the tendency to STAY in motion whereas vibration relates to the CHANGING of inertia (which has both direction and velocity). MASS tends to inhibit the CHANGE in direction (vibration) and would when speaking of vibration lessen the susceptability to those change in direction as well as impact a few other factors. So again, your bucket example is inadequate verging on lame.

Hey, I apologize for those who feel a complete doctorial thesis might be in order but I doubt nost want to be so bored.

The concrete examples cited by some during the course of this thread would seem to bolster the argument that they (Nikon) may have made a good trade-off between the added mass and viration reduction achieved.

Since someone, probably a moderator, erased the 4 subsequent replies to this thread two of which were mine, I will simply put that your have no idea what inertia, velocity or speed means in physics. If you did, you would not have made the statement that I have highlighted above.

Just for the sake of disproving your claims to understanding the subject matter these terms play in physics, the following is a list of definitions for INERTIA, VELOCITY and SPEED.

INERTIA (actual definition): Inertia is the resistance of any physical object to a change in its state of motion. It is represented numerically by an object's mass. In common usage, however, people may also use the term "inertia" to refer to an object's "amount of resistance to change in velocity" (which is quantified by its mass), or sometimes to its momentum, depending on the context.

VELOCITY: In physics, velocity is the rate of change of position. It is a vector physical quantity; both speed and direction are required to define it.

SPEED: Distance travelled per unit time. Speed is the scalar quantity that is the magnitude of the velocity vector.

In your statement above you mentioned that vibration relates to the CHANGING of inertia which has both direction and velocity, which is obviously false given that inertia is numerically represented by the object's mass and velocity already has direction. How can vibration relate to the changing of an object's mass? By your statement above an object's mass has direction, speed and direction again (you mentioned direction AND velocity after all).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow