Started Feb 15, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BHPhotog
Contributing MemberPosts: 789Gear list
Like?
Give up the DSLR for an LX-3?
Feb 15, 2010

Now that something has gone wrong with my Pentax DSLR and it's going to be out of service 2-4 weeks, I've started doing some DSLR soul searching.

I pulled my four-year-old Panasonic FZ-7 out of the drawer . No massive megapixel quality, no costly bag of lenses and trying to select this lens for that use, no RAW capture and processing for the very "best" possible image detail. Just set it on Auto and, with no fuss, no muss and no agonizing over the thousand details of taking a "good" photograph, got this shot. Then some very basic post-processing to get this edged art deco look. It's not a great shot by any means, but it captures the day, the setting, light and my mood just fine. For me.

I'm beginning to wonder if the DSLR camera is getting in the way of having fun for an average amateur photographer who'll never be more than that. My interests seem to lie in post-processing, so the photograph is just the raw material for the final edited image. Right now the less complicated, and less expensive, world of a good fixed zoom compact like the LX-3 sounds pretty good. The bottom line is that I probably would get about the same quality images (up to 8x10" or so) from the LX-3 as the DSLR, be able to carry it in my pocket and have a lot less fussin' with the thing. And, like many folks, I'm retired on a fixed income and don't want to afford the LX-3 without selling the DSLR, so it's one of the other.

I know the LX-3 isn't a 14MP DSLR with the wide range of very good prime lenses; and I don't expect to the get the resolution and micro-contrast, but I'd be gaining something for everything I give up. I'd be interested in hearing the POV of folks who use the LX-3 as their primary camera. Thanks for any input,
Brian

BHPhotog's gear list:BHPhotog's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Epson Stylus Photo R1900
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow