Aperture 3 performance

Started Feb 13, 2010 | Discussions thread
Mediterranean light
Regular MemberPosts: 332Gear list
Like?
Re: depressing thread
In reply to Terrance Vacha, Feb 14, 2010

Actually, there's a lot of initial misunderstanding about AP3's performance. I did turn face recognition off and aside from what I mentioned previously (skin smoothing takes ages) AP3 does some really impressive things. This is my third day of learning, and I had not used previous versons of AP.

With my 27" iMac i7 and 8Gb RAM every other adjustment is instantaneous. I do not import lots of pics, just about ten each time. Could do better with one at a time. It all depends on what use is made of AP3. I don't do batch processing, being kind of perfeccionist and working on each chosen pic individually.

Edge detecting is impressive but it doesn't do miracles: if you use blur it won't recognize those five or six hairs sticking out.

Coming from NX2 - which I plan to keep using, despite all its present problems - I'm enjoying AP3. There's a lot to learn to master it, and I'm sure I'm doing foolish things in the meantime. It's made to become the core of your processing, in every way (i.e., choosing it is a big commitment). For the moment, I'm pleased with the interaction, as I export to NX2 to do additional post-processing.

It does crash, eventually. A lot of retouching - some 150 steps - may cause it. But that is a whole lot better than NX2 2.2.4...

Terrance Vacha wrote:

is Aper 3 worth bothering with? After all of the problems that people on this thread are having, I wonder if it is just best to stick with Ap 2 until these threads report better news.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D700, D300, D60

Nikkor 12-24 / 18-135 / 18-55 / 70/300 VR II / 50 f/1.4 / 105 f/2.5 / 24-70 f/2.8
SB 800 / SB 600
Profoto D1 Air strobes

Mediterranean light's gear list:Mediterranean light's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow