What 50mm lens for the 7D? Stuck between 3 choices...

Started Feb 14, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rookie4002
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
What 50mm lens for the 7D? Stuck between 3 choices...
Feb 14, 2010

Hello guys,

While I'm waiting for my Canon 7D to come back from the canon repair center I was looking into getting a fast prime @50 mm for more or less portraits and some other general low-light shots (although I also have a 17-55mm 2.8 which is pretty good for not so low low light). The 2.8 with the 17-55 blurs the background but just doesn't blur it as much as I'd like, otherwise I would just stick to it.

The lens will be used pretty much on the f1.4 - f2.8 range only since above that I will most likely use my zoom (more versatile). I'm struggling to decide on which lens between these 3:

1) Canon 50mm 1.8: Going for it is the price, had one before and it broke, not only that but I couldn't get it out of my rebel xsi and ended up forcing it out (It was stuck inside due to a little plastic coming out as I later found out). Because of this I'm not really looking forward to trying again.

2) Sigma 50mm 1.4: It's supposed to be the best, specially wide open (which is what I would use it for, between f 1.4 and f2.8). Also had this lens before and the pictures that were in focus were amazing. EXCEPT that most of them were OOF and pretty bad (this was with a canon xsi). Took the chance with the focusing issue before buying it and got burned, so I returned it. Since then I've been looking at it again and most people that are happy with it are only AFTER sending it to get it calibrated ALONG with the body. Don't feel like doing this specially since it's about $450. But it could be a good choice if it can be microadjusted properly with the 7D

3) Canon 50mm 1.4: Seems that it's the only choice I have left. Although people complain that it's soft wide open, I was wondering how bad is this? Also when people say it's soft in the edges, this shouldn't matter too much since the edges would probably be blurred at big apertures right? Cant the f1.4 be used or is it pretty much useless due to softness? Right now I can get it for about ~$315 which is not too bad of a deal.

Any insight into the matter would be appreciated. Thanks!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow