Decision time, new unopened 1D4; is the res increase over 1D3 worth it?

Started Feb 12, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Michael G2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,102
Like?
Decision time, new unopened 1D4; is the res increase over 1D3 worth it?
Feb 12, 2010

I wasn't shopping for a 1D4, I had pretty much told myself that I would pass until the next version, since I had a perfectly good 1D3 as well as a, 5DII and 7D. But then I happened to be in a store that had a 1D4 and was able to get it at as good a price as you can get in Sweden. Half on impulse and half in preparation for a trip to Norway to photograph eagles with my son next week I broke down and bought it. I have 30 days to return it for a full refund if I don't open the box.

I am not looking for the high iso performance, since the 1D3 works just fine up to iso1600, and that's more than enough for the eagles. I don't think the improved AF will be important either, since the 1D3 has done just fine for me in the past. The only thing I am really interested in is the increased resolution, and after getting home I searched the net, fredmiranda, dpreview, etc for evidence that the increased resolution translated into more detail. But to be honest, I haven't found anything conclusive. It seems no better than the 7D over the 50D, there is defnitely more resolution, but probably does not correspond to 60% more pixels.

Has anyone seen any conclusive comparisons of the 1D3 vs the 1D4 that demonstrate what the increase in pixels really means in terms of detail and potential to crop?

At this point I am leaning towards returning the camera (especially after Ron G's report) but would like nothing more than to be convinced that would be the wrong decision

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow