Nikkor 16-85 f3.5-5.6 vs. Tamron 17-50 f2.8 vs. Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 OS

Started Feb 10, 2010 | Discussions thread
MiWo
Regular MemberPosts: 438Gear list
Like?
Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 OS --- REVIEW!!!
In reply to gnius, Feb 10, 2010

The polish photography service optyczne.pl has already posted a review of the Sigma you're contemplating. It's still not on their english counterpart lenstip.com.

In the summary they put a little 'verbal' comparison (no pictures unfortunately) between the nearest competition on each mount. For Nikon they put it along with the 18-70, 18-105 and 16-85 and what they're basically are saying is:

The 18-70 is cheaper and that's its only strong side - apart from that its range is worse, it's slower, no VR.

The 18-105 is a great lens IQ wise, has VR, more range, more bang for the buck but it's slower and severely lesser built.

The 16-85, I quote, is 'the toughest competitor with great IQ (although not better than the Sigma), costs more less the same, is solidly built, has VR and can compete with the Sigma's faster aperture with its slightly wider range. Again I [being the reviewer] am convinced they gonna win the same amount of fans'.

Sorry if the translation is a bit ruff but I'm tired after 9 hours of work... If you care for some samples, check out:

http://www.optyczne.pl/181.11-Test_obiektywu-Sigma_17-70_mm_f_2.8-4.0_DC_Macro_OS_HSM_Podsumowanie.html

MiWo's gear list:MiWo's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4 Apple iPad Mini Wi-Fi
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow