Why do people insist on comparing the 24/1.4 to the 28/1.4?

Started Feb 10, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Micro32
Senior MemberPosts: 1,193
Like?
Why do people insist on comparing the 24/1.4 to the 28/1.4?
Feb 10, 2010

I'm not sure why people persist in trying to pigeon-hole the new 24/1.4 as a direct replacement for the 28/1.4 because it is not! These are two totally different animals with two different optical formulas that are worlds apart. The 28/1.4 has its own unique character and charm as a result of how it was designed and produced, for good or bad that will never be reproduced again. It also has a very small number of copies out in circulation (relatively speaking) for consumer consumption. The 24/1.4, on the other hand, will be flooding the world market and there will never be a shortage of them for whomever wants to pony up $2K.

For people that paid $3,000+ for the 28/1.4 and are shaking in their boots worrying about the bottom falling out or the people that paid under $2,000 thinking they will make a profit from selling it off to fund a 24/1.4 purchase needn't worry. I predict we will see a dip in value till things settle out with the 24/1.4 and the 28's value will climb back up again. So, if you are in the market for a "cheap" 28/1.4 you might as well forget it. Of course there will always be that deal you need to be in the right place at the right time.

There's always going to be a group of people that will never sell their 28/1.4 and still buy a 24/1.4. This is always good as they get to compare the two side-by-side and see the differences first hand.

And for the people that insist on comparing these two lenses, one just need to search the archives of what happened when we had the 70-200VR1 vs 70-200VR2 madness. While I'm sure the 24/1.4 is going to have beyond amazing optics and performance one come to expect from Nikon, it will NOT have the same character and charm as the 28/1.4.

All I can say is buy either or both lenses and accept them for what they are while enjoy using them to their fullest.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow