Started Feb 9, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chief1401
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
I’m looking for advice.
Feb 9, 2010

I have a D80 with 50 1.8 & 18 – 70mm 3.5 – 4.5. I have been given the opportunity to start taking photos at local team roping events. At these roping events the photos sell between $20 - $30 each for 8”x10”. So these are photos that I would like to look good. I have seen some photos that were taken by so called pros or at least people that are making a living selling them and they were O.K. but not GREAT. With practice I hope to do a lot better.

These will be action shots, running horses & calves, most of the time under cover in the shade or at night with so-so lighting. I have ordered a Nikon AF 70-210mm 4-5.6D to practice with because of the focal length, I thought for the $150 that I spent it would be worth it. My intention is to go and practice tracking and zooming and camera placement. Then IF I decide to take the photos and sell them I was thinking about a Nikon AFS 80-200mm f2.8 mounted on a good tripod. That would be the upper limit of my budget for right now.

Please give advice on how to get the best photos and thoughts on my lens choice and/or other lens choices around or below $1200.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow