Started Feb 6, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
FujiColy
Contributing MemberPosts: 538
Like?
GF1 – In Search of RAW Perfection
Feb 6, 2010

I have just purchased a new GF1 and 20mm Pancake lens kit, and looking to get the best out of them in terms of colour and RAW fidelity.

Unfortunately due to the weather in the UK I have been unable to get out and take some images myself with my new camera, so for demonstration purposes I have used another GF1 RAW image from a review site on the net.

The purpose of this tread is to find the best RAW converter settings and workflow for the GF1, and producing the best image with little or no PP.

OK, GF1 RAW processing issues as I see them at the moment:-

Colour and Exposure

Most RAW converters I have tried output muted murky colours as standard, they also apply incorrect heavy curves that do not work well with GF1 RAW files. This is demonstrated by the ACR image below.

These curves have led to people wrongly thinking the GF1 overexposures images by default, it does not...

Geometric Correction

This is done in a very crude fashion in most RAW converters, leaving the image with degradation and loss of sharpness.

I am looking to solve these problems and need some feedback on what RAW converters you are all using and your respective workflows and any general comments.

Below are two GF1 images one straight conversion through ACR 5.6 on default setting and the other converted taking into account the issues noted above. These are 100% crops...

I look forward to your comments.

For each image below you will need to select "Open in new window" to see the full definition.

ACR 5.6 Image

My RAW Conversion

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OluvNew
gameNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow