Started Feb 5, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
adm2972
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?
How did you get into Minolta?
Feb 5, 2010

My dad's main camera was a Minolta CLE which he loved, and still has. So I was somewhat familiar with the Minolta brand. I started looking around for an AF camera and found a Maxxum 5000 for sale in the paper. This of course, was pre-internet. Yes, kids, PRE-internet.

Anyway, the guy wanted 250 Canadian (which was approx 175 USD at the time) for the camera, a Minolta flash, a 50 f1.7 and the 70-210 f4 beercan. He said his wife has all the photos (they were getting divorced) so he couldn't show me any. I offered him 200 bucks and he took it.

I used it on a trip to NC, and found out that ALL the photos were bad. Dark. Dark, Dark. I was scared and disapointed.

Minolta was offereing a free cleanup/diagnostic clinic in Hamilton, ON that next week and the Minolta rep knew what the problem was and said they'd take it back with them, and send it to me fixed for 50 bucks. SWEET! It worked beautifully ever since.

I later bought a couple 600si bodies (my FAVORITES!) and an 800si.

I now have an a700 and some other lenses, but I still have that 50 and the beercan. I'd say that's a good deal for 200 bucks eh? (Oh yeah, I sold the original flash and 5000 body for about 50 each, so i've got 100 bucks in the beercan and 50.

That was a good story to tell myself for my own sake!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow