Why Grumpy Critics don't get iPad: It's a more Fun way to do things.

Started Feb 5, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Peter G
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,944
Like?
Why Grumpy Critics don't get iPad: It's a more Fun way to do things.
Feb 5, 2010

All the armchair complaints seem to stem from perceived deficiencies on the spec sheet, but Fun doesn't show up on the spec sheet.

There is a huge difference between hitting a marketing checkbox, that says "Internet browsing" and delivering a really enjoyable experience while doing it.

Checking out the hands-on videos, it was immediately obvious to me that the browsing experience was something on a different level.

While I dread anytime I get stuck using a laptop to browse with one of the various and hideous laptop pads, this appears to be pure joy in comparison. Everything touch glides like a perfectly weighted object on near frictionless bearings. Super slick and dare I say it looks FUN.

Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE47BMe83W8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhKhN_91IAc

Another thing that emerges is the speed and responsiveness across the board. Apps just launch near instantly. Heck it is faster than my dual core desktop. It isn't always about having the most powerful hardware. Performance can also come from clever engineering of components (HW and SW) so it all works well together.

For photo sharing it looks much better than crowding around around a laptop with their crappy TN screens like I have done in the past. This is a quality IPS screen with excellent viewing in from any angle that can easily be passed around.

So does it have some new killer world changing apps, or is it a laptop replacement? No and that isn't the point.

But it appears to really make for a more Fun way to do many things we were already doing. Primarily reading/viewing/consumer activities. The kind of activities regular non techie geek folks do. For them it's appliance like nature will be more of a boon that something to complain about.

I don't know if I will buy, but I definitely want to try one. Fun trumps a spec sheet, if it is as fun to use as it looks so far, I am sold.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow