Started Feb 4, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tsk1979
Senior MemberPosts: 1,031Gear list
Like?
Canon 350D - DPP Sharpening vs USM in GIMP/Photoshop etc.,
Feb 4, 2010

I shoot RAW always, with sharpness set to +1 in RAW software.

However, I see that with my 18-55 kit lens, images are soft., even with sharpness set to +1

So I have 2 solutions to this
1. Use GIMP and Do USM.

Now this is the time consuming solution. Moreover I don't know what sharpening works and what is too much. Frankly speaking every image requires different treatment. So I use Radius 0.2 and 50% sharpening. Works for most cases
2. Sharpen the RAW to +4 or +5 in DPP itself

This method I tried for an auto show. With sharpening set to 5, the shots were crisp and nice, but then they were of automobiles. In landscape I believe things will start getting ugly with artifacts and what not.

Now my question, should I stick to "2". This will avoid me doing sharpening in GIMP. But it won't save much time for me, as I use GIMP anyways to do "autolevels". No auto-levels in DPP for RAW images unfortunately! But still it will make my workflow cleaner. and easier, esp for travels when number of pics are high, and sometimes you want all keepers.

What are your inputs. RAW sharpening in DPP or USM in other software. Can you guys suggest a canon DPP RAW only flow where I can do stuff like Auto-Levels etc.,

Fire away!

-- hide signature --
 tsk1979's gear list:tsk1979's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow