Ball head - Manfrotto 496RC2 vs. Benro BR 368?

Started Jan 31, 2010 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 13,363Gear list
Like?
Re: Ball head - Manfrotto 496RC2 vs. Benro BR 368?
In reply to Vinay Anand, Feb 1, 2010

Vinay Anand wrote:

Does anyone have experience using a Benro BR 368 or similar ball head? I am looking for a ball head for my D90 + 18-200 zoom lens to go with the Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 tripod.

The Benro weighs about 1/2 as much as the Monfrotto (7 ounces vs. 1lb), and costs about 1/2 as well.

496RC2 can support upto 13 lb, costs $80 and weighs 1lb
BR 368 can support 17lb, costs $48 and weighs 7 ounces.

In the higher priced ballheads, Benro has earned a fairly good reputation making Arca-Swiss knock-off ballheads for half the price. Based on other's experience, I'd have no issue with these. Benro is a company in China who wants to earn a reputation for quality design. They seem to be doing well with that.

On the other hand, Manfrotto is tried and true in the lesser expensive ballheads. The 496RC2 is the replacement for the successful 486RC2 and added a friction knob. Nice touch.

I would also suggest the 498RC2 which is a wonderful ballhead. Either of these will support your camera and lens. Turn the VR off when you do.

I could not find the particular Benro 368 you're talking about. I searched under ballheads and pan heads. I only found your post asking the same question at PhotoNet. I searched Adorama and B&H and also searched using Benbo, another company. I also tried the specs you gave on all Benro and Benbo ballheads and couldn't find any that met those specs, so I'm not sure which Benro you're talking about. I even tried the keywords "benro 368" and pulled zero other than your post. The only 368 I could find was a cheapy Velbon panhead.

Here's the little 486RC2 with quite a bit of weight.. tight as can be.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow