Started Jan 21, 2010 | Discussions thread
erichK
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,949Gear list
Like?
Re: Not ideology: simple common deceny!
In reply to pris, Jan 29, 2010

pris wrote:

erichK wrote:

But that does appear to have become a radical ideology for some!

Oldest and quite disgusting trick in the book - launch personal attack against someone who disagrees with you. So one who has different view on what to buy from whom is indecent human being eh?

My sincere apologies if you felt that this was personally directed at you. It was a comment on all the posts about simply always looking for the lowest price.

It reflected a great many thoughts, especially the poignant comment from some chinese workers who assemble goods for Walmart "You live so well because we live so badly." and also William Morris' immortal comment that there is nothing made that someone else will not make cheaper and nastier."

I regarded it as common decency to participate in the international boycott of South African goods that helped to end apartheid, and also to do my best to avoid the products of child labour.

I know a fair bit about retail through tenj years of employment counselling andcourses I have taught, experience as a distributor and personal experiences and those of family members. The Calgary Camera Store was interesting to me as a "best practice" model of how a camera retailer can organize a business that is efficient enought to (apparently) treat and pay it employees decently, provide detailed customer service, and still offer competitive pricing.

I do find it indecent, at least for those educated and knopwledgable enough to know better, and affluent enough to not have to count every penny, to buy products purely on the basis of price.

(After all, you can get fantastic prices buying fromk the back of a truck!)

erichK's gear list:erichK's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow