Started Jan 28, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kurja
Contributing MemberPosts: 764
Like?
digitizing old prints with camera
Jan 28, 2010

I'm going to need to digitize a batch of approx. 50 old (20-40 year old) prints, and this needs to happen at a zero budget (well, maybe ten bucks). As I don't have access to a half-decent scanner, I'm planning to use my dslr to photograph the prints.

I'm thinking of coming up with some kind of simple stand where I'd place the print, perhaps place a piece of glass on top to hold the paper straight when needed, and have the camera aligned in front of that on a tripod.

I'm looking for any advice on how to do this, so I could cut down on the time spent in the trial-and-error cycle. I expect I would use a zoom lens to avoid moving stuff around so much if and when some of the prints are of different size or shape.

In particular I'm feeling clueless about lighting, especially if there's going to be a glass on top of the print.

Equipment I have for this: a200, 50&28 primes, 18-70 (kit), 70-300, one hvl-f42, one flimsy tripod, one clumsy hobbyist photographer. Well some other gadgets too, but I doubt extension rings, a memory card reader or other various junk would be of much relevance to this...

Fire away, please.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow