Nikon 70-200 VRII vs. Nikon 80-200 AF-S observations

Started Jan 25, 2010 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Contributing MemberPosts: 792
Nikon 70-200 VRII vs. Nikon 80-200 AF-S observations
Jan 25, 2010

I was smitten with the new 70-200 vrii upon handling the lens. Its fit and finish are first class, in line with my 14-24 and 24-70.... but upon examing the files once returning home i noticed two phenomenon. The first is well documented, the focal length breathing exhibited by the newcomer..... the second was something I did not expect.... the two lenses metered differently. The 80-200 AF-S used a lower ISO (Aperture and Shutter were fixed) but has a darker image... while the new lens has a brighter resulting image but shot at over double the iso of the 80-200 af-s) To my eye it appears the older lens is about a half stop brighter but I'm sure someone much brighter than I will correct my assumption.

Here are the quick images I grabbed :):

Here is the image shot with my 80-200 AF-S at around 145mm, shutter speed of 1/250, aperture of 2.8 and iso of 2200:

here is the "same" image captured with the VRII, 200mm 1/250, 2.8 and Iso 6400!! (PS this lens consistently resulted in a higher iso and brighter image....) VR on:

Just for comparison: Here is a shot of the 80-200 AF-S shot at 200mm, 1/250, 2.8, iso 4000:

The new lens WILL result in a less isolated subject when shooting tight close-ups/head shots. Hope this wasnt toooo confusing/helped!

I am still debating giving up my old 80-200 AF-S due to my shaky hands but am holding off for the time being. PS the 80-200 just had its yearly check up and its sharpness should be representative of a new 80-200 af-s. P.S. i did this for my own knowledge, no one elses, i really do hope it helped but dont try and jump on me for a faulty testing procedures.... as it was designed only to help myself.

Find the lens that enables you to capture your vision, not what others use to capture theirs.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow