Why no mirror telephotos for DSLR Canon?

Started Jan 25, 2010 | Discussions thread
The_cheshirecat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169Gear list
Like?
Re: Why no mirror telephotos for DSLR Canon?
In reply to Franz Weber, Jan 25, 2010

The only advantage a mirrored lens might have today is they would not be as long as their traditional counterparts.

I still have some from years gone by and they did have their place, but no longer. There are a few reasons, we are not seeing mirrored lens today.

I don’t think the sharpness offered by an inexpensive mirrored lens would exceed that of the less expensive lightweight telephotos produced today. The cost of making such a mirror lens would exceed that of the less expensive comparable lenses. Given the technology and materials used today they would be as heavy, or heavier, than what is already available.

Then there is the popularity of zoom lenses. Most primes are purchased by demanding individuals who don’t want second best. Mirror lenses cannot zoom, would be difficult to incorporate IS, and the quality simply cannot compare to these better primes.

Even if they were produced where is the market for them?

-- hide signature --

I started in the 50's - my first picture was taken with a Leica and hooked me for life. I no longer use my Leicas, but I am still taking pictures. Some things never change.

The_cheshirecat's gear list:The_cheshirecat's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow