ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
keith1200rs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,934
Like?
UK Copyright & newspaper photographers
Jan 25, 2010

Hi,

A slightly complicated question, but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. My father was a press photographer from the later 1940's until 1985 when he died. I have started scanning a lot of his old photos. Some may be of historical significance, most probably not, but I am wondering who owns the copyright?

I assume he would have had an employment contract which would have defined the copyright situation, but I have no idea what that would have been, whether it would have been time limited, or whether it is more normal that the copyright stays with the photographer and the newspaper have free use of the photograph. How would I find that out? I don't think I will be able to find a 60 year old employment contract and would be surprised if the newpapers could (they are small provincial newspapers, but they still exist).

I haven't really decided on a use for the photographs, but I would like for them not to be "lost". I may set up a web site of them, but making them public opens up the copyright issue.

Any guidance or pointers to information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Keith.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow