Started Jan 25, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Waynes World
Regular MemberPosts: 370Gear list
Like?
Why I Chose Pentax
Jan 25, 2010

Many other photographers ask me why i chose Pentax instead of Nikon and Canon (the 2 big companies) and I say.....

I was buying my first D-SLR after leaving film about 2 years ago (quite late to leave film actually) I was planning to spend the $ not all on the camera Body but instead on some high grade lenses. So I decided on an $900 (Canadian) camera body budget.

That was how much the Nikon D80 cost in Jan. 2008. I was looking at a comparison of the Nikon D80 and the Pentax K10D on Cameralabs.com, I began to like the K10D.

Then the K20D and K200D came out. Then the D80 was discontinued so I went for the K200D and i bought one for $700. I like it's build quality and ergonomics. I liked the fact that my dad and my grandpa both had a full collection of Pentax gear from the film days and still loved them. I like it's weather sealing ( I shoot in the rain here in Canada). I liked it's pretty much perfect raw output. I liked It's Shake Reduction and it's Dust Removal (never had a problem with spots on my pictures). I had a nice collection of FA film lenses too. The K200D's good AF system, vast amount of customization, and top LCD screen were particularly unique for step-up D-SLRs.

In the end after 2 years and 21540 or so shutter actuations, I would have to give this camera 5/5. I bought the DA* 200mm f2.8 and it's shipping to my place right now. So is the DA 17-70 SDM.

Cheers

Waynes World's gear list:Waynes World's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow