Started Jan 24, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 26,004
Like?
Repost: Teleconverter information
Jan 24, 2010

Here is some teleconverter info that I had posted once or twice before. I figure it is about time to repost it.

Sigma TC's have a protruding element that will interfer with the rear element of most lenses. These TC's can only be mounted with certain lenses.

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/support/faq/condaitr.htm#05

Pentax-A 1.4X-L and Pentax-A 2X-L have a protruding element element and will interfere with the rear element of most lenses. These TC's can only be mounted with certain lenses. Download the Rear Converter A manual. If asked, the password is "Pentax".

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/accessories/accessmanuals.htm

The above TC's can be mounted with certain Tamron SP Adaptall 2 lenses. A list of those lenses that can probably be mounted with the Sigmas and the Pentax-A 1.4X-L and Pentax-A 2X-l can be found at: http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/200F.html

The Pentax-A 1.4X-S and Pentax-A 2X-S can be mounted with most lenses. Download the Rear Converter A manual. See the pentax-manuals link above.

The Pentax-F 1.7X AF Adapter can be mounted with most lenses. The manual states that you must use this TC with an f2.8 or faster lens. Many of us in this forum have found that it will work with f4.5 or faster lenses. Download the AF Adapter 1.7X manual. See the pentax-manuals link above.

The Tamron and Kenko (I think also Tokina) autofocusing 1.4X, (1.5X, 1.7X Kenko) and 2X TC's will mount to most lenses. If the nomenclature of the TC has a "Pz" on it then it has the two pins necessary to drive the old Powerzoom Pentax lenses. these are the same two contacts that are now used to drive the SDM Pentax lenses. If using these lenses with an autofocusing lens in the manual mode then there will be a drag on the lens because the autofocusing screw is still attached between the lens and the TC. That is why sometimes it is better to use a manual focusing teleconverter like the Pentax-A1.4X-S or Pentax-A 2X-S when using an autofocusing lens in the manual mode.

The Vivitar 2X Macro Focusing Teleconverter will turn a normal 50mm lens into a 1:1 macro lens. It can also be used with other focal lengths. It comes in Pentax mounts K and KA. This is a manual focus teleconverter and can be mounted to most lenses. These teleconverters can also be used as a regular TC and can focus to infinity.

There are Panagor Macro Focusing Teleconverters (manual focus) also. They come in 2X and 3X. As far as I know they only come in K mounts. I have a Panagor 3X Macro Focusing TC which will turn a normal 50mm lens into a 1.5:1 macro lens. These teleconverters can also be used as regular TC's and can be focused to infinity. I do not recommend the Panagor 3X TC for anything other than macro shooting.

Note: As far as i know, none of the teleconverters listed above will pass the correct f# or focal length to the camera. They will only pass whatever the lens f# and focal length is. The only one that will do it for most lenses is the Pentax-F 1.7X AF Adapter but it will only pass info for the corrected f#, not focal length.

Note #2: Myself and a few others have recently learned that the Pentax-F 1.7X AF Adapter does not work properly with many Sigma autofocusing lenses. There is a way to make them work by taping certain pins on the lens side of the 1.7X AF Adapter. The reason I don't give the pin numbers to tape is because I have quit using the Pentax-F 1.7X AF Adapter with Sigma lenses and I don't remember which pins to tape. If you are interested then you will have to figure it out for yourself from the following link:

http://www.robertstech.com/matrix.htm

All of the above is just "mounting" information. The use of teleconverters is an individual preference IMO and can start some heated discussions in this forum so I leave it to the individual to decide if a particular TC used with particular lenses produces an image worthy of their desires.

I hope that some of you might find this information useful.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

'Every day when I get up the first thing I do is grab one of my Pentax DSLR cameras and run to the mirror just so I can start the day off with a double dose of beauty.' ~ brandrx

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Ron ~ Retired.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow