Started Jan 24, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tangster
Forum MemberPosts: 95Gear list
Like?
Why no Automatic Microfocus Adjustment?
Jan 24, 2010

MFA is a real PITA but it seems like a necessary evil. One thing I can't understand is why Canon does not implement an Automatic Microfocus Adjustment feature. From what I can see, it seems all the necessary components and features already existed on any camera supporting live view. Just a firmware upgrade will do the job.

Here's what I am thinking?

1. Canon made available a standard Focus Test Sheet ("FTS") for Letter and A4 size paper in PDF format. The FTS should indicate where the camera's focus point must be aimed at.

2. User can print the document and mount/tape to a flat surface such as a wall.

3. User shall place the camera at a distance between 10x to 20x the longest focal length ("FL") of the lens from FTS. If using a zoom lens, set lens to longest focal length.

4. Using the menu, place the camera in the new "Automatic Microfocus Adjustment" mode.

5. The camera will first focus to infinity, then use a phase-detect to focus the FTS, then use contrast detect (from live view) to focus and note any difference. Repeat this process three times, average the result, ask user if he/she want to save the result.

I know this may be a simplistic view, but I can't see why it can't be done via a simple firmware upgrade. You may have other ways of doing it. Please share your thoughts.

-- hide signature --

Tangster

Tangster's gear list:Tangster's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +9 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow