Flat view
ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 19,677Gear list
Like?
Mirror Slap Test Kx v Km
Jan 23, 2010

Lense used DA70
All Hand held Shots - Shutters as Shown
From this shot I took the following crops at 1/60, 1/80, 1/100, 1/125, & 1/160 -

1/60 and 1/125 have in the past seemed to have shown most vibration from the mirror on my Kx hence only these speeds are shown here.

I have previously tested the Kx on a tripod to successfully eliminate sensor jarring as the cause of movement - there is no sign of this in either SR on or off mode.

Now crops firstly Kx SR off

Now Km SR off - No sign of movement because of lovely soft shutter/mirror

Back to Kx with SR On

My conclusion is that there is reverberations from the mirror slap on the Kx specially at 1/60 & 1/125 when the camera is hand held with a light lens such as a DA70. I suspect a heavier lens that can be more easily held well with the left hand will absorb much of this vibration.

The timing of the mirror up to shutter fire may affect this as it is probably shorter to allow for the increased frame rate.
When SR is turned ON it appears to compensate the movement in my Kx.

When hand holding macros SR does not seem to have any negative affect as below IMO

I would recommend SR on at all times except when the camera is tripod mounted, this seems to overcome mirror slap vibrations on the Kx IMO.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow