Paper-feed problems with Epson 1400 SOLVED!

Started Jan 22, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jeffrey Behr
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,067
Like?
Paper-feed problems with Epson 1400 SOLVED!
Jan 22, 2010

I bought a new 1400; it arrived a week ago. I had a brochure-printing project that got interrupted when my general-purpose Canon died, so I got right to it. Initial prints looked great, but after maybe 15 sheets, paper started feeding inconsistently, and soon after NO paper of any type would feed. Called Epson Monday; after an hour, they decided the printer was dirty and said they'd send some printer-cleaning sheets (which arrived today, Friday). Meanwhile I researched my problem here and decided to clean the paper-feed rollers with alcohol. BINGO! the brochure paper fed correctly...for about 20 sheets. Cleaned the rollers again and this time fed no more of the brochure paper--Avery 8-1/2X11, matte-finish, trifold bright-white paper--thru it. Returned what was left to OfficeMax, who cheerfully issued a refund for 2 packages. Bought some 67-pound Wausau vellum paper and have printed more than 100 sheets without a hiccup.

I used 91% isopropyl alcohol and Q-tips to swab the rollers; the alcohol evaporated so quickly I didn't have to dry them. The smaller, lower roller is spring-loaded and can be rotated with a long (CLEAN) tool like a small screwdriver so that its entire circumference can be cleaned. I rotated the printer most of the way around and did this from the left-rear corner.

So my advice is: 1. When your Epson printer starts NOT feeding paper, clean the 2 paper-feed rollers, and 2. do NOT use that Avery-brand brochure paper in your inkjet printers.

BTW I did print a few pics, on Epson premium luster paper, with EXCELLENT results, so I just ordered a big pack of that in 19X13"...and more ink.
--
Damned amateur fotografer trying to get a little more serious again.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jeffreybehr

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow