$1000 300mm F2.8 manual focus lens - dumb?

Started Jan 22, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KVirtanen
Regular MemberPosts: 198
Like?
$1000 300mm F2.8 manual focus lens - dumb?
Jan 22, 2010

Well, not dumb dumb, there's purpose for every kinds of lenses, but you get the drift. To people who own one with or without AF - what are your impressions? Do you mind the absence of AF? If you have AF, could you live without it?

Is it impossible to achieve some things without AF in your opinion? Could you show me an example?

Most importantly, what are you using your 300mm F2.8 for (wildlife, sports, scientific purposes, macro photography, portraiture....)?

The lens in question: http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/60B.html

Would you pay $1000 USD for it, if from your economical standpoint you'd consider $1000 "a lot of money" and you shoot as a hobby (because I know you people are going to suggest something out of my price range just because "the lens retains it value over the years").

I ask way too many questions

I'm extremely interested in shooting in dim lightning. Animals, people, still life, you name it, but I'm not sure if I'm able to handle the shallow DOF of the lens without AF (can you?). On the other hand, MF frees me from thinking through focus points and allows me to compose more freely, without the need to recompose.

If I really need a 300mm F2.8 lens, should I just start saving for a more modern +$3000 alternative? What do you think? I could really use some help from you guys.

Is the lens good or-- ok I'll stop asking questions now.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow