Started Jan 22, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hello_Photo
Regular MemberPosts: 234
Like?
FARTing Practice (2 Imgs)
Jan 22, 2010

While I don't endorse all of his views (or the way he choses to convey them), I have found some of Ken Rockwell's articles to be very helpful. This one in particular made me think more about how I approach static subjects (as opposed to mobile ones, like my kids):

http://kenrockwell.com/tech/fart.htm

Yesterday, I finally took advantage of an opportunity to apply these concepts. The local Home Depot has "horse and buggy parking", since there are a significant number of menonite farmers in the region. This shed has always struck me as an interesting subject that I should get around to photographing someday (I guess that's the "feel" part). With the clear sky yesterday morning, I took my Sigma 10-20 out for a spin to see what I could do with this subject.

Here are two of the results:

My goal with this shot was to draw the viewer's attention to the sign ("Ask"). I also wanted to take advantage of the clear blue sky and (if possible) the arches to show that it is attached to a horse shed. Since the sign looked so small on my LCD, I wasn't sure if this was going to be obvious. Also, there is a shadow from a nearby tree on the shed, which my eye ignored in real life, but was painfully obvious when seen on the back of my camera. So, I "Refined" this a bit and "Took" this image (10mm is anything but subtle for this purpose):

What do you think? Is the second shot really stronger than the first?

Any other C+C are most welcome, especially if you have suggestions regarding where you would have positioned yourself when taking a photo of this subject.

Thanks!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow