ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mike703
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,895
Like?
DA16-45 image quality?
Jan 22, 2010

Hi all

I was playing with my new DA16-45 yesterday... just to make sure there are no obvious faults within the 14 day return period... and was surprised to find it really rather poor at 16mm and f/4. I know this will always be the worst spot but it is noticeably less sharp than the kit lens (at 18mm f/3.5). By f/8 it's fine and gives good corner-to-corner sharpness. But, I got it for the wide angle end (my 'main' lens is a Tamron 28-75) and might need 16mm f/4 from time to time.

I would be interested to hear the experience of others. There are many glowing user comments out there, with people saying that it is very sharp even at extremes and that it compares favourably to the Canon 17-40L. The photozone.de review gives the lens very good centre sharpness at 16mm and f/4 but I am just not seeing it: my (quick) impression is more like that of the review on this site which recommends stopping down to f/8 at the 16mm end.

Maybe I'm expecting too much but I expected (hoped) that it would significantly outperform the kit lens, as many people claim that it does. I'm at work at the moment so can't post samples but if anyone cares I have some available.

Best wishes

-- hide signature --

Mike

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow