Started Jan 22, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Zee Char
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,475Gear list
Like?
5D MKII outer focus points
Jan 22, 2010

So how inaccurate are they compared to the center point? I recently purchased a wedding bracket for RRS and use the 580 flash. When in the horizontal position everything is well. When I flip it to the vertical position the flash AF assist beam is slightly higher than the center focus point.

I'm pretty handy with these sorts of things so I am thinking of modifying the bracket to angle the flash down a bit. The easier solution method is just to use one of the next higher AF points.

I guess the question is how often am I going going to need AF assist while in vertical in those types of conditions? I have a coupe of weddings to shoot this summer. The only time I remember needing it for the critical shots was when I shot a wedding last fall. It was during the first dance and it was very dark. At that time I had a 5D and 50D with no brackets. 580 on both cams.

I did some searches on the net and I found some info stating they were about 10% less accurate.

Thanks in advance.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/flash/04.html

-- hide signature --

The solution is always simple. Getting there is the hard part.

Zee Char's gear list:Zee Char's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow