Started Jan 21, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mablacksv
Contributing MemberPosts: 551
Like?
D3S High ISO...wow!
Jan 21, 2010

I know this is a Canon forum, and if you look at my history you can see I've been a pretty hard core Canon guy for years, but I obtained a D3S and the new 70-200 VR II today. I just got the battery charged and snapped a few high ISO shots around the house and I am blown away. ISO 12800 is incredible, never mind 6400.

I make a living shooting at high ISOs. This past weekend I was shooting gymnastics at ISO 6400 f/2.8 and 1/200 sec in the darkest corner of the gym. I really could have used ISO 12800 and even 25600. Based on the few test shots I made today, ISO 12800 will be my standard D3S setting and I will use ISO 25600 when I need it. I shoot JPG and only need to make prints up to 8x10".

I also have a Mark IV on order (since Oct. 20) and while I don't expect the Mark IV to match the DS3 in ISO, if ISO 12800 is fully usable I plan on keeping both the D3S and Mark IV, especially if the AF of the Mark IV is as good as I'm hearing about. I love my Mark III and couldn't bear to part with some of my favorite lenses. On the other hand the Nikon 14-24 and 200-400 f/4 will be mighty useful on the Nikon side. I will be in heaven having the best of both worlds.

John

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow