Started Jan 20, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ulfsch
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
My LX3 findings
Jan 20, 2010

Half a year ago I bought a LX3. A camera with a lot of manual controls and RAW support. I was worried because it did not have a long zoom. This is my findings after half a year with the camera:

When I bought LX3 I thought it was important with manual controls. Now, after half a year I realize I almost always use P-mode. The P-mode usually simply does right. I use the default settings:

Sensitivity: Auto
ISO limit set: Auto
Min shutter speed: 1/8 sec

In low light the camera first select max aperture, next increase the shutter speed to 1/30, next increase ISO to 400 and finally increase shutter speed to 1/8. If even darker you get an underexposed picture, This is exactly what I want! No need for A, S or M mode.

I also thought RAW was important and I started shooting RAW only. I later switched to RAW+JPG. After some adjustments of film settings I realized the JPG out of the camera was just as good as the RAW (if correctly exposed and right white balance). I use the following film settings:

Film mode: Standard
Contrast: -1
Sharpening: -1
Saturation: -1
Noise reduction: -2

RAW developed with Silkypix results in pictures with slightly different colors compared to the LX3 JPG, but I'm not sure which is best. After extensive work in post processing I may end up with slightly better pictures from the RAW. But not always. Now I usually use JPG only.

I was a bit worried with no tele, but I have now realized 24mm is very useful. Perfect for landscape, party and street photography. 60mm is very good for portraits. I’m not missing the long zoom.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow