Struggling with fur (warning- graphic medical photo)

Started Jan 20, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jonascat
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Struggling with fur (warning- graphic medical photo)
Jan 20, 2010

Hello, I'm new to the forums and to using photo software in general. I'm using the latest photoshop. The image I'm working with (see below) was taken with an old camera and is quite fuzzy. My goal is to replace the background with a neutral color.

I've tried extracting, the background eraser, magic lasso- nothing works wells. The cat has many stray hairs and whiskers that cross over each other, creating lots of little areas for the background color to linger in. The background is close to the cat's color in areas, which is also complicating things. I've trying turning up the contrast and making a mask, but the edges are getting lost.

Here's the photo- warning, it is graphic! This is a rescue kitty that I'm working on building a website for. This was taken when he was first found three years ago- he's a very healthy, robust guy now.

I love any hints or tips to working with this kind of furry picture- this isn't the only one I need to retouch.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow