Started Jan 19, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mark power
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
GF1 and raw
Jan 19, 2010

This may not be that new a thread but i couldn't find anything specific to my problem...anyway had the GF1 for about 2 weeks now and it is a fine camera with a fabulous lens ( 20mm) even if over-engineered like most Panasonics ( topic for another thread).

I have CS3 which doesn't recognize RW2 ( raw) files. Update to CS4 (which i don't need for any other purpose) would cost me $399. Or at least$199. Good 3rd party raw converters don't cost much less. Ah, but there's Silkypix which comes with the camera.

Yes but it doesn't recognize RW2 files. Yes, that's right folks. Panasonic sold a camera with software that doesn't recognize its RAW files. i think i read somewhere Silkypix will eventually get around to RW2 recognition. Meanwhile I've had a look at the RW2 files and frankly they don't seem to offer much, if any advantage, over a JPG file. maybe a little more shadow detail that's easily duplicated in CS3. So I'm not sure I'd go RAW anyway.

I hve an LX3 also and I came to the same conclusion although I can use RAW files with CS3 for that camera. The LX3 JPG's seem as good as the RAW files. I have had Sony cameras and with them RAW was a clear advantage.

So what am I asking? Can anyone give me a good reason for shooting RW2 files instead of JPGs? Please no algorithms, graphs or giant blowups. Just evaluating real-world images and real world sizes!

Mark

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow