Started Jan 18, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Beas
Regular MemberPosts: 212
Like?
Quality of light with monolights
Jan 18, 2010

I'm getting ready to buy a the initial package for an off camera flash package. I have looked at the lower priced brands inluding Alien Bees and Photogenic and have wondered what if any light quality issues exist between those and Profoto and mid line Elinchrom (BX). Severe budget units like the westcott and elinchromD lites leave me uneasy.

There are a fair number of detractors of the AB and WL lights. Is this based on dislike for king luap, on product quality shortfalls, or actual quality of light output. I don't want to compromise my future work based on dollars but I'm retired and trying to stretch available cash. That said, I'd rather have less equipment than inferior quality of light. If we are just talking build differences I can live with less. Not everything has to be built like a tank.

What gives pleasing light and a reasonable build quality. I'm guess that my max requirements will be 300-400 watt seconds. My initial focus will be on diffuse lighting

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow