Started Jan 17, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
finlemad
Forum MemberPosts: 83Gear list
Like?
larger external monitor for still dslr
Jan 17, 2010

Has anyone rigged a portable external monitor for viewing shots as they are taken? My Canon XTI (without live view) has both a mini USB and video out ports. The reason for this question is for better viewing of focus and movement that I may not catch on the built in monitor screen. My eyes are pretty good, but there is an incredible amount of detail in that small screen. More than once I have thought that I had a good picture and when I saw it on the laptop the focus wasn't perfect, or someone had moved a hand. If I had known, I would have taken a couple more shots.

I'm not talking about 100% use, just occasional. The only options I see are a laptop,(mine is really too big to carry), a small TV, or a digital picture frame. I wouldn't mind being tethered wth a cord, but I don't want to have take the card out of the camera.

I've run the video out port to my RCA 31" console (circa 1992) and the picture was really disappointing. The picture on my $100 Wal Mart 21" Orion is quite good, though.

finlemad's gear list:finlemad's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +9 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow