ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
joshddavis
Regular MemberPosts: 129
Like?
Discussion: Photographing Haiti Destruction
Jan 15, 2010

Hi friends,

Thought I would try and kick off a discussion here...

I've been watching the news recently with all horrible footage of the destruction in Haiti and seeing the touching photos of people hurt, crying, etc.. The pictures are quite moving and I couldn't help but feel for two seconds that I would like to be there taking pictures too.

...but those feelings are short lived. I put myself in the photographers shoes and the thought of me standing there with my camera taking pictures of a mother screaming with her dead child or people reaching out for help or any of the pictures we've seen and wonder, "how could i stand there taking pictures of people in their time of need like that?" it almost seems selfish and wrong and instead i should be in there helping to lift a slab of concrete off of someone.

I guess that's why I'm not a professional photojournalist, but I would like to hear other people's thoughts on this issue and how people handle situations like that.

Cheers,
Josh

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow