ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Howard Shooter
Regular MemberPosts: 284
Like?
food photographers view on 45mm Macro
Jan 15, 2010

Hi,

I thought I'd write a quick posting on the 45mm Lumix Leica Macro lens for my Panasonic GF1.

I've been a food photographer for the last 15 years. http://www.HowardShooter.com . I thought I'd buy the Leica macro in spite of the even more positive noises about the Olympus Macro 50mm lens in case a location shot should present itself and I don't have a truck load of equipment. I set the shot up of spices with my Phase One 45+ and Mamiya kit (worth a small fortune) and then replaced it with my GF1.

Apart from the fact the camera looked ridiculous on my studio stand it focusses in manual beautifully.

The quality with my eyes (as opposed to a scientific test) was shockingly as good as my Mamiya lens (which I consider to be as good as Macro lenses get). At 100% the quality is incredible. I tok the shot at f14 2.5 seconds at iso 100. White Balance was adjusted in Capture One, shot at Raw and then only converted to Jpeg. No other PP. Light was daylight and although you can't beat the Phase One for overall quality, the sharpness and colour for this setup and price is fantastic.

My gut feeling is that Leica didn't develop this lens as a portrait lens which although they've put the IS and limiter on it was a commercial afterthought.

As always your comments would be welcome....

thanks

Howard

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow