Lens advice: 24-105L vs. 70-200 F4L

Started Jan 14, 2010 | Discussions thread
Henrik Herranen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,659Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens advice: 24-105L vs. 70-200 F4L
In reply to gdanmitchell, Jan 15, 2010

gdanmitchell wrote:

Since you are very new to this and don't have a baseline for determining what lenses are best for you, I urge you to start an entirely different way. Get the inexpensive 18-55mm IS kit lens and shoot a lot BEFORE you make large investments in lenses that may or may not be right for you. By shooting a few thousand frames with the kit lens you will come to understand much more clearly what lens features are really important to you...

Actually, +1 for that, and shame that I didn't think of suggesting this first.

Let me share you this:

When I bought my 1st DSLR -- the 5D -- in 2005, I originally wanted to have it with the 24-105. However, at the time there were production issues so that lens wasn't available. Thus I bought the 50mm f/1.8 instead. Thinking afterwards, that confined space helped me a lot: in a few months I had a clear image of what I wanted from my lenses, and I was able to expand one lens at a time without missteps. Now, over four years later, I have lenses from 8 to 300 mm and I'm very happy with my range.

Kind regards,

• Henrik

-- hide signature --

And if a million more agree there ain't no great society
My obligatory gallery: http://www.iki.fi/leopold/Photo/Galleria/

Henrik Herranen's gear list:Henrik Herranen's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow